Friday, July 24, 2009

Lets get serious

Been a couple months since I posted. I really would like to become one of those obsessive bloggers but that hasn't happened yet. About the only thing I have been recently obsessed with is swapping yarn.

I live on a Ravelry site called Karma Yarn Swap. Lots of us on KYS got together and formed the Amazing Flying Squirrel Karma Team.

The AFSKT is a group of kind, considerate dedicated Ravelers that enjoy doing for others. We are on our 18th project which is making Knitted Knockers (or Pretty
Titties) for women who have have mastectomies - knitted (or crocheted) forms are less expensive, quicker and a lot more fun than the standard silicone prosthesis. I hope this project catches on like some of the past ones have. We have made quite a few afghans for Rav friends as well as friends of Rav friends. We have done a couple card/gift showers.

An exciting project the AFSKT completed is the Monochromatic Wool Blanket that is currently being raffled on Karma Charity Auction. Last I heard it had raised $200 for Doctors without Borders - but that was days ago. My guess is that we are probably closer to the $250 mark and I bet by the end of the weekend we will have bypassed the $300 mark - wow!

Tomorrow I am taking a class at the Woolly Bully to learn to make 2 socks at the same time using one needle. I have wanted to take this class so that I can shake that second sock syndrome. Of course, of the two socks I completed - I completed their mates. I probably have 5 other socks in various states of completion though.

I think I am going to make my KYS Swap partner a pair of socks. At first I was thinking about a shawl but I haven't done one of those in 35 years. If I enjoy 2socks/1 needle as much as I expect, it should be a cinch. I am going buy some yarn off of ISO/DS from a KYS friend that is beautiful and just yells what I believe my partner would like, after reading her postings and her wish list. Swaps make me so nervous, what if my partner hates my box? It has a $25 minimum but I will probably spend closer to $100 before I am done - you know, to assure that it is nice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment